Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Topic in Language Eduaction that I want to know more about

Gina I have the Chilean Time!

An area of language teaching that I would like to know is VTS (Visual Thinking Strategies), since I think that it is a very interesting area of language teaching that has not been used very often inside of the classrooms.

One of the things that has triggered my interest is the fact that VTS increase students critical thinking skills, due to children start using their eyes to make sense of the world as soon as they open them as infants. They also develop analitical, speaking and listening skills, because VTS encourages observation that forms the basis for ideas. Discussion allows for those ideas to be given shape in language. VTS questions ask students to probe, draw inferences, and cite evidence to back up opinions.

Art triggers observations and ideas, and VTS discussions give young people a chance to talk about what they see and to apply what they think and know, this help them to build vocabulary and learn to paraphrase.

These are websites that I found and you can have more information about VTS.

http://www.visualthinkingstrategies.org/

http://www.vue.org/

These links have helped me to read and understand some research about this strategy that it is fun for students and also effective. To support my idea, and explanations I will like you to click on the following video.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gina Petrie/CALE/ESLG said...

Pamela,
WOW! I get it! The video really tops off what you have to say. I didn't tell you in class, but actually, my area of CALL (computer assisted language learning) is called "Visuality". (Do a Google Scholar search for "Gina Petrie" and "Visuality"). I would really like to keep talking to you about this as your interest develops. Follow this!
Gina

November 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home