Monday, November 17, 2008

Websites that might help

My English language learner is from Russia. She is 13 years old, and she lives with her parents.

One thing I noticed about her is that she does not speak much English, so she is always feeling frustrated because she cannot communicate her own ideas; although I think she is doing a big effort trying to develop her language skills in English.
Since she needs to practice a lot, I will really like to help her with some websites that I found on the INTERNET. Some things that I have observed, is the fact that she is lacking of vocabulary, listening and reading comprehension skills, because of these she is not able to speak in plain English.

The websites that I suggest her should be interactive and interesting, in order to make an “attractive learning” for her.


These are the websites that I found to help her.

http://www.theyellowpencil.com/


This is a very complete and interesting website. It contains lost of activities, such as: word puzzles, writing and spelling activities, questionnaires, 3 online tests and also videos about any topic, in order to work pronunciation.

http://comics.com/peanuts/?Page=2

This is a website about Charlie Brown’s comics, which are very funny and short. I am sure she will love to read this; so she could do some reading comprehension.

http://www.youtube.com/

She could search for some songs with karaoke. I think this website will really help her because she can sing and read at the same time, which is very fun.

http://pbskids.org/sesame/elmosworld/index.html

I saw her reading a book about Sesame Street, and she told me she really like the characters, so I think this website is just for her, since there are many interactive activities, such as: rhymes, visual and listening interactive activities.


www.britishcouncil.org/kids-songs-easy.htm

In this website you can find easy songs with karaoke, short stories with pictures, listening and writing activities.

The use of the Internet and these websites may increase the student learning and interest about English, this is, she will begin to understand it, and she would not be only learning the language, she will also believe that they are funny and interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gina Petrie/CALE/ESLG said...

Pamela,
You really did a lot of thinking here about the issues that the student is struggling with and the resources that might prove helpful. Nicely done! I wasn't able to read the 'yellow pencil' site but was able to guess a bit about what it contained. Was it your goal to help support the student's learning in her first language as well?
Gina

November 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home